Silver Linings Counseling
- Blue Care Network
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Health Alliance Plan/HAP
- Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Priority Health (Dr. Shepler Only)
- Cash (preferred)
- Check (preferred)
- Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover)
Private Pay vs Insurance
The following information are reasons that you may choose to receive services through private pay instead of your insurance company:
- Insurance companies require that the therapist identify a diagnosis. This is because the insurance companies do not want to pay for therapy unless it is deemed medically necessary. This forces therapists to determine a diagnosis even when the client may not meet the appropriate criteria. Otherwise the therapist would be forced to let the client go without services. Even though a client’s symptoms are not deemed medically necessary it does not mean that they do not need counseling. Counseling is good for a variety of reasons beyond medical necessity. Also, there are times when a diagnosis (even though accurate) may cause more harm than good.
- Therapy is confidential; however, in order for the therapist to obtain authorization for treatment the clinician must provide personal information about the client. This diagnosis and reason for treatment will placed in the client’s medical file. Although it is unethical for anyone to discriminate based on a person's diagnosis, some diagnoses may cause the client to be treated differently when treated by other medical professionals.
- Insurance companies can take 3-4 months to reimburse and it isn’t entirely uncommon that they refuse to pay entirely. This creates a stressful situation for both the therapist and the client. This can easily be avoided by the client and therapist coming to an agreed-upon rate of service that is paid at the time of service.
For billing questions, please call Health Care Connect 734-207-5226.